History of the Galenica Group

Galenica was founded in 1927 as a pharmaceutical wholesaler. Today, the name Galenica stands for an internationally active, diversified group which, among other things, develops, manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products throughout the world and runs pharmacies, provides logistical services and sets up databases and networks in Switzerland.

  • 1927: Establishing of a joint purchasing centre

    16 pharmacists in Western Switzerland establish a joint purchasing centre under the name of Collaboration Pharmaceutique SA.

  • 1932: New name: Galenica Ltd.

    The purchasing centre flourishes and the range of products becomes popular countrywide. The head office is transferred to Bern and the company is renamed Galenica Ltd.

  • 1938: Launch of a scientific documentation service

    A scientific documentation service is launched as a logical addition to the wholesale business.

  • 1957: Galenica diversifies into new areas

    Galenica diversifies into new areas.

  • 1972: Expansion of the activities

    With the creation of Adima Ltd., the cosmetics sector is added to the Group’s activities. Galenica now has 660 employees.

  • 1977: Publication of the first Codex Galenica

    Galenica celebrates its 50th anniversary

  • 1979: Galenica is converted to a holding

    Galenica is converted to a holding company and makes an initial public offer of participation shares. However, the shares are still solely held by Swiss pharmacists.

  • 1983: Acquisition of Hausmann Laboratories

    Galenica acquires the majority of the share-capital of Laboratorien Hausmann Ltd., in St. Gallen. The company is specialised in perfusions and sterile solutions, as well as iron products.

  • 1988: New Position: Chief Executive Officer

    As part of the «new market regulations» that come into force on 1 January 1987, Galenica instigates various new measures in all its areas of activity.

  • 1993: Distribution as core business

    Galenica largely returns to its core business and divests various business fields including hospital supplies.

  • 1994: Open share capital for public shareholders

    The share capital is open to the public shareholders.

  • 1996: New strategy

    Spurred on by the rapid changes sweeping the market, the management formulates a new vision and strategy that will turn Galenica into an international player at all levels of the healthcare market.

  • 1998: Group’s internationalisation

    1997–1998: Sizeable sums of money are spent on developing new products for Vifor Ltd. with the aim of driving forward the Group’s internationalisation.

  • 1999: IPO for the total share capital and establishment of a pharmacy chain

    The Articles of Incorporation are amended to facilitate an IPO for the entire share capital.

  • 2000: U.S. approval for Venofer®

    The new organisational structure of the Galenica Group comes into force; a new visual identity is the outward symbol of this change.

  • 2002: Acquisition of Anti-Brumm®

    Galenica celebrates its 75th anniversary and takes further steps in turning its vision into reality. As an enduring gesture it makes a sizeable donation towards the construction of the Zentrum Paul Klee in Bern.

  • 2003: Introduction unit share and acquisition Documed

    A single type of share is introduced and replaces the previous system of registered A and B shares.

  • 2004: Acquisition Perskindol

    The General Meeting decides to create an authorised share capital by amending the Articles of Incorporation.

  • 2005: New uniform name: Amavita

    The Galenica Group transfers its full share of the European pre-wholesale business to its strategic partner Alliance Unichem.

  • 2006: Registration files for Ferinject® submitted in Switzerland and the EU

    Registration files for the new iron-based product Ferinject® are submitted in Switzerland as well as in 17 countries of the European Union.

  • 2007: First market approval for Ferinject® and acquisition of Aspreva

    The Group took significant strategic decisions and reached important milestones in various key projects.

  • 2008: Opening of the new Galexis distribution centre in Niederbipp

    In 2008, the Galenica Group again reached important milestones of long-term strategic importance.

  • 2009: Acquisition of Sun Store and OM Pharma

    In 2009, Galenica made huge investments in preparing for the future.

  • 2010: Expansion of Ferinject® progressing

    Ferinject® was launched in the markets of 14 countries at the end of 2011.

  • 2011: Application submitted for Injectafer ® in the U.S.

    Luitpold Pharmaceuticals has submitted a New Drug Application for Injectafer® in the USA.

  • 2012: First registration filed for PA21

    The intravenous iron drug Ferinject® enjoyed a year of particularly strong growth, with worldwide sales up 48.4% to CHF 127.1 million.

  • 2013: US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approvals for Injectafer® and for Velphoro®

    US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approvals for Injectafer® for the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia and for Velphoro® to control serum phosphorus levels in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.

  • 2014: One Group, two strategies and a new vision

    Galenica introduces a new management structure with two CEOs, who start working towards a new vision with their team:

  • 2015: Mircera®

    Galenica and Roche enter into an exclusive licensing agreement for the marketing and distribution of the Roche Mircera® product in the USA and Puerto Rico.

Send link

Send as link