The Glossary contains explanations for specific terms and expressions used by the Galenica Group as well as terms of the healthcare sector.
- Galexis is the market leader in Swiss healthcare logistics. It delivers healthcare products to pharmacies, drugstores, medical practices, care homes and hospitals. From two strategically located distribution centres (Niederbipp and Lausanne-Ecublens), Galexis is able to supply same-day deliveries to around 80% of Swiss pharmacies and drugstores, as well as over 4,000 self-dispensing medical practices.
- Winconcept manages independent pharmacies operating under the Feelgood’s brand and develops management and marketing concepts for members focusing on communication and quality.
- Wholesaler Pharmapool has been part of Galenica since the start of 2017 and strengthens the Galexis wholesale offering for self-dispensing doctors.
- Vifor Consumer Health
- Vifor Consumer Health markets non-prescription medicines (OTC; over-the-counter products) developed in-house, sold under licence or distributed for third parties.
It also occupies a leading position in its home market Switzerland with key brands such as Algifor®, Triofan®, Perskindol® and Anti-Brumm®.
- Unione Farmaceutica Distribuzione (UFD)
- Unione Farmaceutica Distribuzione complements Galexis as the leading and only full-range pharmaceutical wholesaler in Ticino.
- Medifilm is the Swiss pioneer in customised blister packaging and packs medicines and nutritional supplements on behalf of pharmacies for chronic and long-term patients, which are then delivered in individually labelled “Medifilm”.
- Sun Store
- Sun Store was Switzerland’s first pharmacy chain and has been part of the Galenica Group since 2009. Comprising nearly 100 pharmacies, it focuses on non-prescription medicines, beauty, wellness and health.
- HCI Solutions
- HCI Solutions develops management solutions for pharmacies as well as tools to securely manage, communicate and distribute sensitive health data. Its database of 200,000 products makes it possible to inform and communicate with health service providers, the federal government and health insurers using consistent data.
- As Switzerland’s first specialty pharmacy, MediService specialises in dealing with people suffering from chronic illnesses.
- Innovative, plant-based dermo-cosmetic brand based on the unique active substance Rhealba® oat.
- Dispensing check
- A service provided by pharmacists as defined by the service-based remuneration (SBR) agreement, which requires pharmacists to keep patient files.
- Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
- An international, non-profit organisation providing the largest and only global environmental database for companies and cities. The aim of CDP is to encourage as many companies as possible to publish data on their impact on the environment and natural resources.
- Care management
- A form of organised assistance given to employees to meet their individual needs in the event of in ability to work due to illness or injury.
- Change management
- All tasks, actions and activities designed to bring about comprehensive and radical change in a company in order to implement new strategies, structures, etc.
- The branch of medicine that uses operative manual or instrumental techniques on a patient to treat diseases and injuries.
- Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) at the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The CHMP prepares the opinions of the EMA and deals with the approval and risk assessment of medicines that are used to treat humans and that require EU-wide approval.
- Climate disclosure scoring
- Indicates the completeness of reporting to the Carbon Disclosure Project and the usefulness of the data.
- CMS (content management system)
- The development and digital management of content from initial creation to archiving or deletion.
- Comité des Jeunes
- A Galenica advisory committee composed of young staff members from the Galenica Group.
- The willingness of patients to follow medical instructions. With regard to taking medications, following a diet or making life-style changes, compliance is particularly important for individuals suffering from chronic diseases or psychological disorders.
- Decentralised procedure
- A specific drug authorisation process in Europe.
- The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with non-infectious and infectious skin diseases as well as benign and malignant skin tumours.
- An exclusive service provided by Amavita pharmacies specifically to diabetics; includes therapy support enabling patients to have their blood sugar levels checked and documented, for example.
- Docupass is a care dossier containing details of personal preferences, needs, requirements and requests covering illness, healthcare, dying and death, offered by Coop Vitality in collaboration with Pro Senectute.
- DRG (Diagnosis Related Groups)
- Economic and medical classification system used to determine flat-rate payments for hospital treatment.
- E-vaccination card
- The Coop Vitality digital vaccination card provides secure access to your own vaccination data and can be programmed to inform the holder when vaccinations need to be renewed.
- EEV emission standard
- The voluntary EEV emission standard (Enhanced Environmentally Friendly Vehicle) is an emission standard for vehicles that produce lower emissions than the currently valid Euro 5 emission standard without increased fuel consumption.
- A general term for IT-supported networking efforts in the healthcare industry.
- FCOS (Federal Coordination Commission for Occupational Safety)
- Central information and coordination authority for occupational safety and health. Coordinates preventative measures, responsibilities for enforcement and the uniform application of regulations in Switzerland.
- Electronic access for doctors, pharmacies and hospitals to a platform containing information on medication for patients.
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- Planning and managing resources such as capital, personnel, equipment, material, information and communication technology and IT systems in a timely and appropriate manner, in line with the company’s purpose. SAP is one example of such an ERP system.
- EVE (EVEnts)
- A series of professional development events for members of the senior management (MDI) and management (MKA) of the Galenica Group, organised within the framework of the company’s Corporate Management Development (CMD) programme.
- Liquid/roller to treat fungal nail infections. Excilor® is available as a handy applicator pen and in a solution bottle with brush.
- FAB (management training)
- A series of management-based professional development courses for members of the Galenica Group’s senior management (MDI) and management (MKA), offered within the framework of the company’s Corporate Management Development (CMD) programme.
- Film-coated tablet
- A tablet coated with only a single thin film. Unlike a sugar-coated tablet, a film-coated tablet is coated with a polymer rather than sugar.
- The term environmental footprint defines how much of the Earth’s surface it would take to Support humanity over the long term with a given lifestyle and standard of living.
- Photovoltaic plant
- Solar power plant in which some of the sun’s rays are converted to electrical energy using solar cells.
- FPH, which stands for Foederatio Pharmaceutica Helvetiae (Swiss Association of Pharmacists), is also a professional title used in general and clinical pharmacy in Switzerland that is analogous to the FMH title for physicians.
- GAL e-Learn
An online training platform for customers (particularly pharmacies); developed and distributed by Galexis.
Pharmaceutical technology for preparing the dosage form of medications (e.g. tablets or injection solutions).
- Vascular check
- The Galexis vascular check allows pharmacists to give customers important information about the condition of their blood vessels within five minutes.
- A drug that contains the same active ingredient as a brand-name pharmaceutical product (originator product) already on the market. Generics can differ from the originator products with respect to non-active ingredients and manufacturing technologies.
- GEP (Galenica Economic Profit)
- An internally defined parameter used in capital management and capital employment based on income components, free cash flow components and invested capital. The goal of the Galenica Group is to achieve a sustainable increase in GEP in all Business sectors.
- Overview of the “Federal Council’s Health Policy Priorities".
- Ginsana® is the completely natural energy source to combat tiredness, weakness and exhaustion.
Ginsana® products contain only G115® standardised ginseng extract obtained from the roots of panax ginseng.
- Global Compact
- An international initiative of the United Nations and participating corporations established to achieve socially responsible and environmentally compatible globalisation.
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI 3)
- An international organisation established by investors and environmental organisations in partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP); it develops guidelines, through a participatory process, for the preparation of sustainability reports by companies, governments and NGOs.
- Rapid blood test for gluten intolerance.
- Good Distribution Practice (GDP)
- Guidelines for good logistics practice followed by Switzerland, the EU and the FDA for quality assur-ance in the storage, handling and shipment of pharmaceuticals, active substances and other medicinal products.
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Guidelines issued by the EU and the FDA for quality assurance in the production of pharmaceuticals, active substances and other medicinal products.
- The branch of medicine concerned with women’s health issues.
- A cardiovascular check-up and individual risk profile (heart passport) offered by GaleniCare in its pharmacies in cooperation with the Swiss Heart Foundation.
- Health Maintenance Organization.
- Home nurses
- Qualified nursing professionals with specific additional training in home nursing; a form of patient care offered by MediService in conjunction with Pharma Care.
- A medical database for all processes such as logistics, invoicing and prescription that replaces galdat® in hospitals; developed and distributed by HCI Solutions.
- IAS 19
- Accounting requirements for employee benefits.
- An active ingredient that relieves pain, reduces fever and is anti-inflammatory.
- International Financial Reporting Standards.
- IMS Health
- An international consulting and market research company based in Hergiswil, Switzerland, that is active in the pharmaceutical sector.
- A reason for a medical treatment or procedure.
A database for cost units in the healthcare sector that replaces galdat® in health insurance companies; developed and distributed by HCI Solutions.
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
A measurement of performance in terms of progress made or level of achievement with regard to important objectives.
- Green Code of Conduct
- Internal guidelines aimed at promoting ecological behaviour (Code of Conduct).
- Skincare brand of the Alès Group.
- Life cycle management
Refers to a strategic concept for managing a product throughout its entire life cycle.
- Service-based remuneration (SBR)
The agreement between santésuisse (the Swiss Association of Health Insurers) and pharmaSuisse (formerly the Schweizerische Apothekerverband – the Swiss Association of Pharmacists), under which a pharmacy’s income is no longer linked to the product price.
Database for wholesalers in the Swiss healthcare industry which contains information on approximately 180,000 items. Developed by, and available through, HCI Solutions.
- Third-party logistics service
Extensive offering that enables customers and suppliers to transfer their logistics (both bulk and dispersion) to the Logistics Business sector.
- LTI programme (Long-term Incentive Programme)
Share-based profit-sharing bonus programme for members of the Corporate Executive Committee and certain members of management.
The internal Galenica LoRe (Logistics-Retail) project should improve product availability. It also aims to give pharmacy employees more time for customer service.
- Magnesium® Vital
A magnesium replacement product for cramps in the calf muscles; developed and distributed by Vifor Consumer Health.
- Managed Care
A healthcare management model. The Managed Care model incorporated into the revision of the Swiss Federal Health Insurance Act is intended to promote integrated healthcare networks and improve ability to offset risk.
Member of senior management of the Galenica Group.
- Medical affairs
A general term covering the following activities: contact with physicians who are opinion leaders, planning and coordination of clinical trials, interface between marketing and medicine, medical-scientific training and continuing education for sales representatives.
- Medication check
A service provided by pharmacists under the service-based remuneration (SBR) agreement; includes remuneration for checking prescriptions, checking for interactions (compatibility with other medications), writing instructions for use, etc.
A medical database that replaces galdat® in medical practices; developed and sold by HCI Solutions.
Web-based information platform for doctors in private practice and those working in hospitals which complements medINDEX®.
- Medical technology
Equipment and technical procedures used in medical practices and laboratories.
An oral magnesium replacement product for the treatment of magnesium deficiency; distributed by Vifor Consumer Health.
Member of the management of the Galenica Group.
- Mutual recognition procedure
Procedure that allows member states of the European Union to approve decisions about a medicinal product, such as a marketing authorisation, that have been decided by another EU country.
Pharmaceutical database with information about a patient’s drug therapy which is part of the pharmacy management tool TriaPharm®.
A moisturising nasal spray produced and distributed by Vifor Consumer Health.
A project initiated by pharmaSuisse, the Swiss pharmacy association, and a health insurer, whereby physicians can speak to pharmacists and patients via a screen.
- An invoicing system for Galexis customers.
- Certified general pharmacist
- Pharmacist who manages or works in a dispensary.
- OID (object identifiers)
Unique numerical codes that permit objects to be identified simply. OIDs are useful when creating electronic registers for eHealth systems.
Payment control function of the pharmacy management tool TriaPharm®.
Function of the pharmacy management tool TriaPharm® that supports invoicing to health insurers.
- Operational Excellence (OPEX)
- When implementing OPEX, companies apply it to their entire strategy, continually and dynamically optimising all processes and systems along the value chain.
- The Galenica Group employee survey.
A term referring to a medication ingested through the mouth.
A disease (of old age) involving a greater vulnerability to bone fracture due to an overly rapid reduction in bone mass; often associated with calcium deficiency.
A product for the treatment of earache and inflammation of the eardrum; produced and distributed by Vifor Consumer Health.
- OTC products
Over-the-counter products, a term used to refer to medicines available without a prescription (Consumer Healthcare products).
- OTX products
OTX medications are drugs which are not prescription-only, but are nonetheless largely prescribed by doctors; they are not always reimbursed by health insurers.
Products such as wound dressings that are sold along with pharmaceuticals but do not meet the legal definition of a pharmaceutical.
- Parcel Service
Transport of parcels to and between Galexis customers, performed along with regular deliveries by Galexis.
A term referring to administration of a medicine by a route other than the gastrointestinal tract; generally by Infusion, injection, through the skin (transdermal) or mucous membranes.
- PEP (Personaleinsatzplanung)
Staff resource planning: new IT system for recording time and planning staff resources in pharmacies.
- Performance units
Performance-related measurement unit used in the Long-term Incentive Programme.
A product line that provides relief from aching muscles and joints; manufactured and distributed by Vifor Consumer Health.
- Pharma Care
Comprehensive medical in-home care of patients with chronic and rare diseases; provided by MediService.
Stands for the ongoing, systematic monitoring of the safety of a drug with the objective of identifying and assessing any undesirable effects in order to take measures to minimise the risk.
An Internet-based product information platform developed and sold by HCI Solutions.
- Haircare products of the Alès Group.
The science that deals with the effects and manufacture of plant-based pharmaceuticals.
- Pick-by-light system
Logistics system in which a beam of light guides staff working in order picking to the location where they can collect the product.
- Polymedication check
A compliance-related check by the pharmacist to ascertain whether various medicines being taken simultaneously by the patient are tolerated in combination.
The prewholesaler operates the warehouse logistics based on the guidelines of the producer at the producer’s expense. In other words: warehouse logistics are being outsourced. For example, Alloga in the Galenica Group.
- Process management
- The design and management of entire processes.
- Process One
- Quality management system developed by Winconcept for independent pharmacies.
A logistics system for pharmaceutical companies’ promotional materials; marketed by Galexis.
- QMS (quality management system)
Quality management systems ensure that the system quality, process quality and product quality in an organisation are checked and improved. The aim of a quality management system is to permanently improve a company’s performance.
- Regulatory affairs
A general term for the activities that are required in order to obtain approval from the authorities for the development, manufacture, marketing and distribution of pharmaceuticals.
- Extended-release form
A dosage form in which the pharmaceutical substance is released slowly over an extended period.
The branch of medicine dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of chronic diseases which mostly become evident through musculoskeletal pain.
The market launch of a product or service. The term refers primarily to technical applications.
- A designation for prescription drugs or medicines.
- SAM (special staff training)
A series of training seminars for new employees focused on processes and personal development, offered within the framework of the Corporate Management Development (CMD) programme.
- Schuessler salts
- Schuessler salts are alternative medical products made from mineral salts in homeopathic doses (potentiation).
- SECO (State Secretariat for Economic Affairs)
The State Secretariat for Economic Affairs is responsible for creating the regulatory and economic policy conditions for sustainable economic growth. SECO is an office of the Federal Department of Economic Affairs.
- Direct dispensation of medicines by physicians.
With the web-based system Senaca®, MediService helps patients to adapt their lifestyle in a structured and scheduled manner.
A service that provides information on products and on scientific and non-scientific questions from pharmacies and drugstores; operated by HCI Solutions.
- Swiss HealthCare Services, a strategic area
The focus by the Galenica Group on a business model providing services for the Swiss healthcare market. This model integrates the Amavita, Sun Store, Coop Vitality, MediService and Winconcept pharmacy formats, logistics services and information management.
The Swiss Agency for Therapeutic Products; the regulatory agency for medicines and medical devices based in Bern. No pharmaceutical products for humans or animals may be marketed in Switzerland until they have been licensed by Swiss-medic. All clinical trials in Switzerland must also be approved by Swissmedic.
A gingko-based product for the treatment of age-related impaired cerebral blood flow, for enhancing the power of concentration and for increasing memory retention; developed and distributed by Vifor Consumer Health.
- Skincare products for tattooed skin.
- Technical room
Explosion-proof storage room for technically and chemically demanding products such as sprays and medicines containing alcoholic solvents.
- Medical diagnosis and therapy via telecommunications.
- Top Homecare
A sales and consulting concept in the homecare area for pharmacies and drugstores; developed and marketed by Galexis.
- Toxicity profile
Profile of the toxicity of a substance. Determinations of toxicity are generally made in animal studies.
- Platform developed by HCI Solutions for direct invoicing between pharmacies and health insurers.
Integrated administrative solution with complete coverage of all necessary functionalities of a company (ERP); based on the former product Arizona, developed by BMC.
A management software solution for pharmacies; developed and marketed by HCI Solutions.
Expansion software from TriaPharm® to scan in and digitise prescriptions; developed and marketed by HCI Solutions.
Nasal spray for colds, the leading product of its type in Switzerland; produced and sold by Vifor Consumer Health.
- Corporate Management Development (CMD)
CMD includes all the staff development activities that Galenica offers to employees and managerial staff.
- Value-based management
A management approach that ensures that companies are focused on improving enterprise value (corporate value).
- Blister packaging
Packaging of medications in portions arranged in rows – like a rolled film strip; service offered by Medifilm to care homes. Increases safety in taking medications, improves therapy compliance and decreases the workload of staff in care homes.
- Code of Conduct
A collection of the principles of conduct that are to be followed in specific situations and consequently promote uniform conduct by groups of individuals within the corporation.
A small bottle with various types of closure (e.g. capsule closure with a membrane for piercing).
- Vitafor® probi-immun®
- Swedish probiotic prevention treatment against colds.
Marketed by Vifor Consumer Health.
Volatile organic compounds; a collective term for organic i.e. carbon-containing substances that evaporate easily and are present as a gas at low temperatures. Term used primarily in connection with air pollutants.
- The Swiss Competition Commission.
Link between the various stages of distribution; purchases goods that it does not generally process or manufacture itself (merchandise) and distributes these to processing, retail, industrial or other commercial companies, etc. For example, Galexis and Unione Farmaceutica Distribuzione in the Galenica Group.
The World Health Organization of the United Nations, based in Geneva, Switzerland.
The World Trade Organization is an international organisation headquartered in Geneva that regulates trade and economic relations.
Triapharm® application. Simplifies processes in the goods cycle from ordering to checking incoming goods and expiry dates, and guarantees more reliable inventory levels.
- AIPS – Drug information publication system
- Official Swissmedic drug information publication platform (Arzneimittelinformation Publikationsplattform Swissmedic).
- Coop Vitality
- A pharmacy joint venture founded in 2000 by Galenica and Coop. With currently 75 locations, Coop Vitality offers a comprehensive range in the fields of health, prevention and beauty combined with professional advice and services.
- Click & Collect
- A service offered by Amavita, Sun Store and Coop Vitality introduced in 2017. Customers can conveniently order products from across the range online (including prescription medications via Prescription Upload) and collect them from the pharmacy of their choice.
- A company supplying walking frames, wheelchairs, incontinence products and other aids both online and offline; part of the Galenica Group since 2018. The product range is geared in particular to older people and people with a disability.
- A walk-in clinic pilot project launched in 2017 in the Zurich region (Amavita pharmacy in Adliswil) and Lausanne (Sun Store Métropole pharmacy). In a separate room of the pharmacy, a care expert provides immediate medical assistance for minor complaints.
- Diabetes Check
- Rapid blood test in pharmacies for type 2 diabetes.
- With around 160 pharmacies, Amavita is the largest pharmacy network in Switzerland and focuses on prescription and non-prescription medicines as well as beauty products.
- Alloga is the largest Swiss pre-wholesale company and provides a broad range of specialised logistics services for pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. Alloga works with around 80 partners, including many leading multinational pharmaceutical companies, and distributes their products on the Swiss market.
- Software developed by HCI Solutions in 2017. Provides health professionals with all the information they need when dispensing medications at a glance in order to increase safety during this process.
- The leading ibuprofen-based OTC analgesic in Switzerland; developed and sold by Vifor Consumer Health (to be renamed Verfora® from mid-2018).
- Allergy Check
- Service provided by Amavita and Coop Vitality: injust 20 minutes, customers receive a personal allergy profile for the ten most common respiratory allergy triggers.
- Amavita partnership
Franchise system developed by Galenicare for pharmacists wishing to enjoy the benefits of the Amavita network while retaining their independence.
- The leading insect repellent spray and lotion in Switzerland, also widely sold in other European countries; a proprietary product of Vifor Consumer Health (to be renamed Verfora® from mid-2018).
- Swiss Drug Compendium (Arzneimittel-Kompendium der Schweiz®)
- A standard reference work for medical professionals that contains extensive technical product information; developed and marketed by HCI Solutions.
- Investigation of processes with regard to compliance with requirements and guidelines. The examination is carried out by an external expert such as an FDA inspector or by a representative of an accredited auditing company such as SGS.
- Blister pack
- A type of packaging that allows the customer to see the packaged product (see-through packaging). See also blister packaging.
- Patch worn on the body to measure physical and mental stress. The measurement is then evaluated by an app.
- Clinical Information System: a module that supports electronic drug prescription in hospitals on the basis of hospINDEX® data.
- Modern editorial system for the Swiss Drug Compendium (Arzneimittel-Kompendium der Schweiz®); developed and distributed by HCI Solutions.
- Consumer healthcare products
- Non-pharmaceutical healthcare products sold directly to the consumer in pharmacies and Drugstores (OTC), for example Anti-Brumm®.
- Direct Healthcare Professional Communication (DHPC)
- New and important information about a medical device provided directly to medical professionals.
- Galenicare focuses on developing, promoting and managing strong pharmacy networks. With its Amavita and Sun Store formats, the Coop Vitality joint venture, Mediservice and Winconcept, Galenicare has rapidly become one of the most important partners for the various players in the healthcare market.
A commercial and scientific database of around 200,000 pharmaceutical and non pharmaceutical products. It includes reference data in a standardised and uniform structure for all IT systems in the Swiss healthcare industry – for pharmacies, physicians, hospitals and health insurers; galdat® forms the basis of all Index products. Developed and sold by HCI Solutions. Currently being replaced by hospINDEX®, insureINDEX® and medINDEX®.
- The brand name of a line of products from Galexis.